Ypsilanti Evangelical Friends Church
The Ypsilanti Evangelical Friends Church has a very long and rich history dating back to the 1830's. Some of
our current members, the Malick family, are direct descendants of the original founders of our church. The first
recorded gathering of Ypsilanti Friends was in 1835 by settlers who traveled the waters of the Erie Canal, Lake
Erie, and other waterways, mainly coming from the New York state area. At this time, Michigan was not even a
state of the union, but rather simply a 'territory' of the United States.
The original Ypsilanti Friends meeting house was built in 1842 on the land between the current church and the
current Youth House. It was in use for 30 years. In the early meeting of Friends the men sat on one side of a
partition and the women on the other during normal worship & business meetings. Occasionally, there would be
times of 'silent meditation' where everyone met together for a meeting that would somewhat resemble a
testimony meeting of today.
In 1872, a new church was built and the original church facility was sold in 1888. This 'new' church is the facility
that still stands on the corner of Bemis and Tuttle Hill roads, and is currently used primarily for youth activities.
A basement was put under it in 1918 and electricity was installed in 1928. A plaque that stands outside of this
facility commemorates that the State of Michigan recognizes this facility as a historical landmark.
In 1941 the present parsonage was built and was occupied by Pastor Charles Carey.
For over 99 years the current building on the corner served as the sanctuary. But in 1971 the present brick
church was built and eventually dedicated on October 17 at a cost of $125,000!
In 1992, God reminded each of us that the church is not a building, but rather the people in the church that
serve the Lord. In April of 1992, a fire consumed the sanctuary and a good part of the rest of the brick church
facility. The fire was later determined to be a result of theft and burglary. For about 5 months, all services were
held in the small corner church building next door. After the fire, the brick church building was rebuilt and in
September of 1992 the church was reopened for worship.
In the years following the fire, the Lord has continued to bless us with many resources. A fellowship hall
was added onto the brick church structure, a playground/park with a family pavilion was built, as was a
It is our desire and prayer that we will continue to meet the challenges that the Lord will put before us in the
coming years and that the Lord will continue to bless this church and the community through us.
In 2010 we celebrated the 175th anniversary of our founding at the corner of Bemis and Tuttle Hill roads.
With God's blessing, we look forward to celebrating the Bi-Centennial of 200 years of the Ypsilanti Friends
Church in 2035!